Social Security Disability Benefits

WHAT IS IT?

Benefits paid to individuals who have met:

• Earnings requirements (ie: paid enough in Social Security taxes to meet the required threshold based on age at the time they become disabled)

Disability requirements as defined by Social Security who will use a 5 step process to evaluate disability:

• Are you currently working or have you been unable to work at least 6 months and are expected to be unable to work for at least 12 months?
  • Is your condition severe as defined by Social Security?  (ie: does it create significant limitations on your ability to perform routine work activities?)
  • Is your condition included in the List of Impairments that Social Security deems so severe that you will automatically be awarded benefits?
  • Can you work at any of the jobs you have held within the 15 years before you became disabled?
  • Can you do any other type of job or work activity? 

Can my family receive SSDIB on my record if I am awarded benefits?

Yes – certain family members such as spouse (if over age 62), spouse at any age if caring for your child who is under age 16, your unmarried child under age 18 or up to 19 if still attending high school full-time, your unmarried child age 18 or older if he/she found disabled before age 22.